Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development creates and oversees the implementation of a strategic approach to fundraising including the annual membership fund, major gifts, corporate donations, grant solicitation, and corporate partnerships.
• Collaborate with the Board of Directors and Executive Director to create a fund development plan which increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization
• Implement the fund development plans in accordance with ethical fundraising principles
• Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
• Monitor trends in BC and Vancouver, and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary
• Develop and manage fundraising activity timelines to ensure strategic plan and critical fund raising processes are carried out in a timely manner
• Develop policies and procedures for a new development department
• Prepare and submit grant applications as outlined in the fund development plan to generate both operating and project funding for the organization
• Oversee the planning and execution of special fundraising events as specified in the fund development plan for both the Coastal Jazz and Blues Society and for the Coastal Foundation for the Performing Arts
• Identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects for the organization's fundraising priorities
• Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information
• Coordinate in-kind donations and make decisions regarding the issuing of receipts
• Engage volunteers for special fund development projects using established volunteer management practices
• Develop an annual income and expenditure budget for the fund development program
• Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditure related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities
• Monitor expenses and analyze budget reports on fund development and recommend changes as necessary
• Foster an understanding of philanthropy within the organization
• Develop a comprehensive communication plan to promote the organization to its donors and maximize public awareness of the fundraising activities of the organization
• Coordinate the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts
• Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization
The Director of Development should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
• Knowledge of fundraising management
• Knowledge of federal and provincial legislation affecting charities
• Knowledge of special events planning and management
• Knowledge of the management of volunteer resources
• Knowledge of the Canadian Centre for Philanthropy's Ethical Fundraising and Financial Accountability Code
• Knowledge of the music sector, and an appreciation of the various genres of jazz
• Creativity/Innovation: Develop new initiatives to improve the finances of the organization
• Ethical Behaviour: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices and ensure own behaviour and the behaviour of others are consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
• Building Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization, particularly board relationships.
• Effective Communication: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Donor Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
• Fostering Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
• Decision Making: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
• Organizing: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
• Planning: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
• Problem Solving: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
Proficiency in the use of:
• Fundraising software
• Office software
• University degree
• A certificate in Fundraising Management is an asset
• Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is an asset
• 3 to 5 years of fund raising experience in a not-for-profit charitable organization
• Experience in leveraging education and outreach for fundraising purposes is a significant asset
How to Apply:
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be negotiated
Contact Name: Jen Thomas
Contact Email: email@example.com