Our Mandate, Core Values and Vision
The Coastal Jazz & Blues Society is dedicated to:
- Building and nurturing an appreciation for the vibrant cultural history and aesthetic of jazz and related music genres through live concerts, culturally and aesthetically diverse programming, and educational activities accessible to everyone.
- Supporting the development of the art form and the local, national and international ecology of jazz and related music genres by providing musicians with a platform to showcase their work, actively nurturing and mentoring emerging artists, and creating unique artistic collaborative projects that cross genres, disciplines, geographic and cultural boundaries.
- Being a leader in establishing viable partnerships and networks with local, regional, national and international music communities.
- Building Vancouver as an important center and cultural destination for the presentation of state-of-the art jazz and related music genres.
- Establishing strategic relationships and networks with individuals, businesses, governments and cultural agencies to support Coastal Jazz & Blues activities and initiatives.
- Educating youth and emerging artists about the history of jazz and its influence across various genres, the potential of creative music, and providing educational instruction in methodology.
- Enhancing audience experience, development, knowledge, and engagement through outreach, education and community programs.
- Upholding the highest standards of production, presentation and curation in presenting events and activities.
Our Core Values
We believe in the power of jazz, contemporary, improvised and other forms of live music to:
- ignite passion, joy and imagination;
- enrich the hearts and minds of artists and audiences; and
- build, educate and nurture community through shared experiences.
We believe that as an organization and as individuals we should:
- communicate clearly and honestly in order to foster trust;
- be transparent, accountable, self-reliant and open-minded;
- act with respect for others and cultivate a supportive working environment;
- engage in critical thought, taking calculated risks as appropriate;
- make fiscally responsible decisions to ensure our long term financial sustainability;
- be aware of our environmental impact and make sustainable choices wherever possible; and
- honor the artistic, economic, social and cultural legacy of the society.
When people hear the words “Coastal Jazz” they’ll think, “Vancouver”. They’ll think of a pre-eminent arts organization that is a global leader in the presentation of innovative, educational and transformative musical experiences, many of them free and accessible to the public. They’ll think of the citywide indoor and outdoor stages that resonate with jazz and related forms of soul-stirring music, from traditional stylists to cutting-edge adventurers to emerging genre-blenders and culture mashing collaborators. They’ll think of the burgeoning, multi-cultural, multi-generational artists and audiences enthralled by a joyous, jubilant and celebratory atmosphere where mystery becomes knowledge, and that knowledge is shared with a wave and a smile.